Dry White Spots on Mango Leaves

kaisersoze(10a - San Diego)April 6, 2013

Hello, I recently began reviving an old mango tree in my backyard after the previous owner left it to fend for itself for several years. The leaves and flowers have recovered really well this year with watering and fertilization, imagine that! I am currently watering it about every 10 days.

However, on the south sun-facing side, there are lots of leaves with white dry spots on them. Is that sun burn of the leaves? Or a sign of some other deficiency or pest? Some of the north facing leaves have similar spots, but most are on the south facing side. See photo below

Any diagnoses and suggested corrective actions would be appreciated. Also, please let me know if you see any other problems with the mango leaves that need correction. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Kaiser, sounds like Leaf Spot to me (a fungal disease). Where are you in the country? More likely in Florida, not totally unlikely here in California as well. Copper can be used, and probably would want to spray earlier in the winter several times, through into our May Grey/June Gloom, while we have conditions that promote fungal growth (temps in the mid 60's the mid 70's, and overcast). Just be sure the copper spray is a weak enough dilution that it can be sprayed on green leaves. If you can identify the organism, you can also see if one of the more common fungicides are effective, such as Serenade (organic option) or Daconil. Chlorothalonil , Fenbuconazole and Myclobutanil (Ortho's Disease B Gon contains Chlorothalonil).

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: U of Florida: Mango Disesases

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 10:11AM
More Discussions
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™