Alternatives to painting trunks 1st yr trees?

yawineyApril 11, 2013

Looking into options for protecting the young trunks from too much sun w/ out needing to paint. Any ideas?
I'm also not sure how much of the lower(from just above the grapht to 2ft) new growth to leave. I have asian pears, pears, cherries, peaches, a persimmon, mulberry, and apples. If any of these don't need the protection that would be good to know also.
Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jayacts

I know you can use plastic sleeve covers, such as the ones Dave Wilson Nursery uses around theirs.

If it's the toxins in the paint that concern you, I've found an non-toxic alternative which is a milk-based "paint."

http://www.realmilkpaint.com/

I have heard the bottom 18 inches or so is all you need to cover, with avocados being highly susceptible to trunk sun damage. These should be covered to up to branch-out, if tree is not covered by protective foliage.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 11:10AM
Jayacts

I know you can use plastic sleeve covers, such as the ones Dave Wilson Nursery uses around theirs.

If it's the toxins in the paint that concern you, I've found an non-toxic alternative which is a milk-based "paint."

http://www.realmilkpaint.com/

I have heard the bottom 18 inches or so is all you need to cover, with avocados being highly susceptible to trunk sun damage. These should be covered to up to branch-out, if tree is not covered by protective foliage.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 11:11AM
TheTradition(9b)

I saw a pecan orchard in Georgia with first-year trees planted out, and they protected the trunks with aluminum foil.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™