Frozen potted blueberries arrived

steve333_gwApril 11, 2013

Well my order of three blueberry plants arrived today. And even though I went out the the mailbox just after the mailguy usually drops stuff off (been checking it every day for this package), all of the plants were frozen; that is their root balls were rock hard.

It was about 28F when I picked them up, and I don't think the soil could have frozen that hard in just an hour or two outside at 28F. Last night however was down to -2F, and I suspect that the box sat in a truck outdoors last night before being delivered today, and that is when the freezing took place.

Anyway, I placed the box in a cool dark room and after a few hours the roots/soil thawed. The plants seem to be in good shape, and don't look any worse for the freeze. At least no signs of damage at this point.

I am just wondering if it is a waste of time for me to pot these plants up. Can blueberries survive freezing temps to the roots? (If it makes any difference, one of the plants was starting to leaf out, but the leaf buds appear to be fine)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb(wa8)

Hello steve,
Are they Northern Highbush?I think they can,especially if they're some of those developed for colder climates.What varieties? Brady

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 2:28AM
steve333_gw

All northern highbush varieties, Patriot, Ka-Bluey and Rubel.

I'll pot them up for now, since they seem to be fine, visually at least.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 12:07PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

They should be fine. I overwinter my containered NHBs outdoors, and we get down to -10F. The containers were frozen solid for 3 months.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 4:18PM
ABz5b

Those should be fine. Patriot was bred as a cold hardy variety down to zone 4. Rubel was discovered in 1913 as a wild bush in the New York/New Jersey Area.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™