Is it possible to grow fruiting avocado trees in zones 6-7?

takadi(7)April 16, 2009

I live in the DC suburbs in VA. Is it possible to grow avocados outside? How far can these plants go before they call it quits? Is it possible to have fruits, or even flowers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jellyman(6/7VA)

Takadi:

I live in the DC Virginia suburbs too. It's not even possible to grow avocado trees outdoors, far less blossoms or fruit.

Avocados are tropical, or at best sub-tropical.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 7:58AM
mootube(UK 9 - 8b)

That surprises me Jellyman, when I went there it was 110 in the shade. I suppose you get extremes of cold too though.

OT, any of you two ever go to "The Vault" nightclub? Now that was memorable back in '96. Good times!

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 8:41AM
calistoga_al

Even in zone 9 where Avocados are grown commercially it is often difficult to grow one avocado tree in your yard and ever get any fruit. In your zone I would expect an avocado to frost to the ground every year. Al

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 9:50AM
the_gurgler(DFW TX 7b Sunset 33)

A co-worker was telling me about a avocado variety that his parents gave him. It is a small fruiting and thin skinned variety that you eat skin and all. According to his parents it is cold hardy and they are growing one outdoors in Zone 8, West Texas. His parents obtained their specimen from a family member in Mexico. He planted a little sapling this year.

Sorry, I don't have more info, but I thought I would share this. Maybe someone here knows more about this variety of avocado?

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 12:26PM
the_gurgler(DFW TX 7b Sunset 33)

And after a quick google for cold hardy avocado I'm guessing it is the Opal variety, but I'll see if I can confirm it. It is evergreen to 14 degrees.

Even the cold hardy varieties wouldn't probably be able to survive in Zone 6 though I'm guessing. There are several cold hardy varieties though: Opal, Mexicola, Mexicola Grande, Gainesville, and Homestead.

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 12:48PM
takadi(7)

Eh I guess I'll give my poor avocado saplings their first and last year....

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 5:43PM
bonsaist(Z6/ Bethlehem, Pa)

I live in zone 6, and I grow Avocado. Sure you can grow one but not kept outside in winter. I have Opal I got from Texas. Where the mother tree took a 14 F weather the one time and recovered. However it will not grow outisde.
I keep mine in a container in the greenhouse.

Bass

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 6:00PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Low readings for tender plants come from warm climates where it might be 70F two days after the hard frost. The soil and roots do not freeze.

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 11:57PM
tex210

Could be the Opal, but my guess is the Fantastic, which has a paper thin skin that can also be eaten. Is supposed to be the most cold hardy.

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 11:50PM
doloresb8_gmail_com

I have an avocado tree grown from seed that is about 8 years old. It is in a 5 gal. container, and has survived a frost of 18 degrees. This past winter I didn't bring it in when I knew it was going to freeze, as I have other winters. It looks great, and is showing healthy new growth. For the past 3 yrs it has bloomed. Last year it was covered in bloom, and produced fruit that didn't all fall off for the first time. The fruit looked like small dark cherries with a cherry-like pit. I let them ripen until they started falling off. They were sweet and juicy, like something you would make into jam. Nothing like an avocado! Of course, this is not a grafted tree, so the fruit would not be true. Is it too late to graft this tree? Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 12:17AM
More Discussions
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™