Fruit trees, bloom time frame

DutchTN(7a)April 10, 2014

Hey guys...

My plum trees went into bloom early this year and we had some light freezing after the trees were in bloom.

My plum trees bloomed for a little over 2 weeks maybe 3, and blooms are now "dying" off, is this normal lenght of bloom or a indicator of frost damage?

Thanks for any help...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wasabi_(Z6a WesternNC)

Dutch,

seems about normal length of blooming to me. Our Japanese plums are always first to bloom and often get nipped. Last year no fruit at all...this year ours too got freeze burned a bit but not too bad....nature's thinning ;) Lots of healthy flowers among those browning though.

Pears and peaches are now blooming...european plums, cherries, and early apples like pink lady are just starting to break buds. Bees are happy, happy, happy

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 9:07AM
fabaceae_native

Definitely not an indicator of frost damage necessarily... Light freezing not likely a problem anyway... Teens or low 20's needed to kill crop in early stages of bloom, mid 20's for later stages generally (there are so many variables)

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 9:12AM
DutchTN(7a)

ok thanks guys...

@Wasabi, here too, looks like you are just on the other side of the mountain (east TN here) apples/pears are starting to bloom and leaves are running out, my peaches are almost done blooming as well.

@Fabaceae, we did not reach those temps, think 30F is the lowest its been while in blossom, so sounds like they should be ok.

Had a hard time finding information how long the blossom lasts on average per type of fruit, not sure if this depends much on weather, can imagine even polination might be a factor.

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 3:12PM
Fascist_Nation(9b)

Blooms don't last long. A few days (some only 24 hours to get the job done) to maybe 10 days.

But some that may last only a few days will bloom a percentage over time to stretch the overall bloom period out. These are cultivars that are known as good pollinators for others of its species.

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 5:40PM
DutchTN(7a)

Thanks for the clarification FN...

Just broke open a few "dead" flowers and I can see a tiny, but healthy looking green "berry" in the center, looks like we might have some plums this year :)

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 6:24PM
BabinOgden

Northern Utah Specifically zone 5b-6a Can a fruit tree be transplanted when it is blooming? It's been planted about 2 yrs. It is a "Fruit Coctail" of Peach, Plum, Nectarine. It had a small crop of nice-sized fruit of all 3 kinds last summer. We have moved (within same zone) and I want to transplant it to our new house. The Plum (I think) has finished blooming but the other 2 are in full bloom. Will I kill the tree to transplant it now? We need to move it within the next 3 wks or leave it. :-(

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 12:40PM
DutchTN(7a)

Hey Babin..

im not a expert but I think with some care and as much of the original root ball you can dig up and quick transplant, you should have a good chance when you keep providing it with enough water whole summer at your new place.

I think it would be best to pull the flowers from the tree when you do this, so it won't "waste" energy towards fruit production but can use it towards new root growth.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 1:20PM
More Discussions
Apricots, Hunza and Manchurian blossom and flowering.
Hi, I live in Oslo, Norway, which is around a 5b or...
roots_feeding
Carmine Jewel
So I've been fretting about my Early Richmond for a...
iowajer
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
KNNN espalier planting
Hi - I just planted some 1 year bare root apple trees....
Jamie Cartwright
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
Sponsored Products
Urban Flow Expansive
| Dot & Bo
Eliot Leather Single Arm Chaise - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture
Verve Violet 30" High Oval Twist Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Emerald Home Brighton Black & Cashew 5 piece Oval Dining Set - EMER565
Hayneedle
Shelby Chandelier by Quoizel
$369.99 | Lumens