Kiwi plants

charlieboringApril 15, 2013

I just received three kiwi plants that are intended to be planted to run up a soon-to-be completed pergola in Northern VA. The problem is that the pergola will not be ready for about a month. I transplanted them into three 1-gallon pots to wait for completion of the pergola and placed them in a mix sun-shade area. Is this okay?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_in_los_osos

If they are small (as they probably are if they came via mail order) this is a good idea. In fact, you might want to grow them out for a year in containers before planting them. Little kiwis are, at least in my experience, pretty fragile, and many people have more luck with their survival if they put some size on them before placing them in their permanent location in the ground. Just try not to let them get root-bound.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 11:18AM
pinc06(6b)

I agree with Steve. In fact right now I have a large (20") pot growing happily consisting of cuttings I stuck in 4 or 5 yrs back to root as cuttings. I keep it in more shade than my kiwi in ground, but it has thrived and put on lots of growth yearly.

Pam in cinti

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 12:15PM
steve_in_los_osos

Pam, before you move on to another thread!

When did you take your cuttings? I have some argutas I'd like to clone to use as experimental rootstocks (and maybe even a few plants for insurance!).

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 2:47PM
pinc06(6b)

Steve, I keep a couple large pots scattered thru my yard to use for cutting attempts. The pots are large and I have good soil mixed with chopped leaves and added Soil Moist crystals to help them maintain moisture. The pots are in mostly shaded areas. I found that if I prune kiwi shortly after growth begins and try not to use a too big cutting they usually do take. I'm guessing cuttings should be maybe 1/4" across and 12-18 inches long. I strip bottom leaves and jam it into the soil. Just be sure to put boys and girls in separate pots. I tried using a divider to keep them separate and some local critter removed the divider, Plants have flourished several years in pot but until they flower (likely this year) I can't tell which is which. I have had some flower in pots before so I know it is possible.

HTH

Pam in cinti

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 12:04PM
steve_in_los_osos

So you're using green wood for the cuttings?

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 2:45PM
More Discussions
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™