Li and Lang jujubes

Noogy(6 sw mi)April 14, 2012

I've always read to buy them both together for pollination. This gives me the impression that others won't pollinate. Is this a marketing ploy, are they exclusively mutual pollinators? Im wondering if ga866, honeyJ, or sherwood would do as pollinators?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Others can pollinate either one. My impression is that any two will probably work, assuming they bloom together. Any three should certainly cover all bases. Of course I'll never be sure since I just bought four you mention plus two others.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 10:22AM
bonsaist(Z6/ Bethlehem, Pa)

In general Jujube is self pollinating, however they will bear more with a mate. Lang is not a good fresh eating jujube, it's dry and is a late bearer.

Bass

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 10:23AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Bass, does Honey Pot need a pollinator? If it's self-pollinating, but will bear more heavily with a cross-pollinator, what would you suggest? I'm thinking of adding jujube's to my garden. They sound very interesting.

Patty S.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 11:34AM
bonsaist(Z6/ Bethlehem, Pa)

Patty,
I had Honey jar grafted into an existing tree, they bear well and very sweet with juicier flesh than others, but they're small.
I have a Honey Jar planted on its own by my dad's and had a light crop, mine I have grafted with other varieties, and bears a nice heavy crop. In your area, I would go for Li and honey Jar, those are my favorite.
I will have Honey jar ready in about a month.
You can find out more info on my site with photos.

Bass

Here is a link that might be useful: My jujubes

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 1:27PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Thanks Bass. I'm in no hurry. I'll check in June.

Patty S.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 3:12PM
bhawkins(8A Dallas)

I think years ago the only 2 jujube's readily avaialble were Li & Lang, so nurseries got in the habit of recommending both to ensure pollination. But as Bass says, most or maybe all jujube's are self pollinating.

Lang in Texas is actually a great jujube, but apparently not across the country. It tastes great here at peak ripeness, & also dries naturally & is great dried.

One drawback to jujube's is that they don't store worth a flip. 3-5 days after I pick them they're bland. Lang however seems to taste good a long time, the taste just changes over time as it dires

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 3:44PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Thanks for the info

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 9:31PM
jianhuayegreentree(6B)

Bass,

I am a little further south of you near Philly and my Honey Jar are still green. Maybe ready in late August. How come yours be ready this early?

Thanks.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 4:13PM
layne_nova

Am interested in getting both Li and Honey Jar, where would you recommend getting them online? ebay? ediblelandscaping.com?

Thanks much,
-Layne in NoVA

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 11:52PM
loveoffoodforests

Has anyone tried coco jujube? :-) it sounds great but I can not find any info other than burnt ridge nursery and one other site of which I cannot remember. They both say nearly the same thing which isn't much? Tastes like coconut! :-)

Also... Are like and sugar cane good for Washington state zone 6?

William

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 12:53AM
More Discussions
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™