Help - Crabapple tree problem

dmackenzieApril 7, 2014

I am hoping someone can help me with my crabapple tree. I have had it for about 6-7 years, it is growing very well, but have an issue with the crabapples themselves. It seems to be loaded with apples every second year, but they are no good Every apple has holes in it, like a worm is eating them possibly. I have never sprayed or treated it in any way as I am not sure what to use how or when to do it. I have found articles for treating different diseases problems, but not this exactly. Any thoughts or ideas?? Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thapranksta

Have you cracked any of the apples open to see if there is a worm inside? Eventually you will need to post a picture of the damage to get better help.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 3:20PM
clarkinks(5b)

Coddling moth or apple maggot fly would be my guess of the problem. You might google search it and see if that is what the damage looks like and then treat for whichever one or both that are the culprit.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 8:06AM
thomis(7)

...as for the biennial bearing, if you thin the apples the year it fruits, you will prevent it from expending too much energy on the current crop and resting the next year. then it will fruit every year.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 9:32AM
More Discussions
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™