hand pollinating ????

john222-gg(Mississippi 8a/8b)April 24, 2013

I have a lot of new trees and don't seem to have many bees.I would like to hand pollinate but there are a lot of questions.How soon after the flower opens should you start.Should you start in the morning while it is still damp or wait till evening when it is dry.The pollen when the flower first opens is pale yellow later it turns golden?Should you collect pollen from flowers that have been open for a while.The pollen should be put on new flowers or older flowers.You can tell I don't know what I am trying to do All help will be appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

John:

What fruits are you concerned about? Peach and nectarine are wind pollinated so skip them. For plums, pluot, and apricot I get a small artist brush. Collect pollen from flowers a day or two after they open before all the anthers wither, change usually from yellow to brown. Move this pollen to newly opened flowers on another plant. After a while you will know which flowers have spent their pollen. They are probably most receptive before or at the time of pollen shed.

I go in a circle around the trees to be pollinated spending a couple minutes at each tree. After two or three circuits I'm done for the day. Morning soon after sunrise seems best but as long as you are picking up pollen you should be doing some good.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 9:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john222-gg(Mississippi 8a/8b)

thanks for the info I am doing plums , pears and apples or should I say trying.Thanks for the help

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™