Mulberry Update (Too Sour/Tart)

MohammadLawatiApril 7, 2014

Hello everyone!
I just lost many mulberries to birds and it is my first year and I need to taste them to know what they taste like. Therefore, I covered the ones that turned pink with paper towels.... hehehehe. Well I saw this then:

So I picked it:

It tastes bland, Not sweet... maybe has some sweetness that I can't feel.
It is juicy yes, but I could not taste much sweetness if any at all! So I asked someone about it and he told me that this is happening because I covered them with paper towels and I need to do it with a net so sunlight could develop sweetness in the fruit. Is this true? I mean can this be the problem?
I am trying it now:

I have noticed that fruits hit by the sun mature faster than those in the shades.
Can you guys help me with some information? I thought leaves develop sugars???

This post was edited by MohammadLawati on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 7:13

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MohammadLawati

Hello, just tried the one in the net and it is the same.... not as much sour as the first one. Is this because it is fruiting for the first time?

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 12:41PM
home_grower(SoCal Z9 S18)

I know there are many varieties of mulberries but I'm no expert. I also planted a Pakistan Mulberry last year and have about 50 fruit on it already. They are very sweet. They are longer but slimmer than the ones in your pics. I had never tasted them before the ones on my tree and have been pleasantly surprised by the taste. Here are a few I picked today.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 4:54AM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

It has been my experience that mulberries vary greatly in taste from tree to tree, even if the same cultivar. When you find a good tasting one clone it!!

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 6:17AM
home_grower(SoCal Z9 S18)

I tested the Brix on one of the berries tonight and it read 32 on my refractometer. It tops out at 35 so I guess that is pretty sweet.

They are definitely sweet like cane sugar but they have a taste that is hard to describe. It is a pure sweetness but not as fulfilling as a pear or an apricot. Maybe that is why we never see them available here.

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 4:38AM
MrClint

home_grower, those are beautiful berries! This is a good time for fresh fruit as the choices are limited. We don't see many mulberries at the market because they don't ship very well. It was never a matter of quality. 'Black Beauty' was on my short list because it stays smaller than most mulberry trees.

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 8:26AM
fabaceae_native

Mohammad: that's too bad the taste is no good... you might leave them to ripen more, even until they fall to make sure though.

I've never heard of a Morus nigra tasting bland, but I agree with Drew that they can vary from tree to tree. I also think that overwatering can make the fruit bland, just like with everything else.

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 9:19AM
Fascist_Nation(9b)

Whether it is in light or not is unlikely to make a difference in sweetness. If they do not eventually sweeten up--and they now look ripe--and they do this next year as well, I would follow Drew's recommendation and find mulberry trees whose fruit you do like and graft onto your present tree.

It is possible that the tree will sweeten up over 4 years in the ground or so, but it is more likely a bum tree.

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 5:57PM
MohammadLawati

Thanks everyone!
Ahh, too bad I was so excited :(
Well, I will give it a chance this season, and if it doesn't sweeten up I will try to graft another one on this one's trunk...
Thanks again!

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 5:09AM
Bradybb WA-Zone8

Mohammad,
Is your tree a Morus nigra? Brady

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 10:32AM
MohammadLawati

Hi brady,
Yeah it is supposed to be...
I was told it is sweet and tart.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
Growing Anything Under A Black Walnut Tree
Hi Gang.....maybe someone here has a solution or idea,...
Greenhorn2
Avo tree grafting
I received this tree from a neighbor. Seed grown, not...
tim45z10
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Wisconsin honeyberry/haskap growers?
I'm combining the two as it seems with continued breeding...
wisconsitom
Getting rid of grape vines.
Is there something other than using a chemical to get...
marylmi
Sponsored Products
Filament Design Pendant Lights Halo 3-Light Brushed Nickel Pendant CLI-JB-033397
Home Depot
Serenity St. Patrick Cashmere Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 10 In. Rug
$238.40 | Bellacor
Eliot Armless Chair - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Martha Stewart Area Rug: Full Bloom Driftwood Gray 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Surya Surroundings SUR-1003 Area Rug Multicolor - SUR1003-23
$97.95 | Hayneedle
Roma Outdoor Loveseat Cushions, Patio Furniture
$741.00 | FRONTGATE
Jocelyn Silver Beading Mirror with LED Light Kit