Raspberry patch dying out

steve22802(7a VA)April 22, 2013

My parents used to have a nice patch of red raspberries but in the last two years they have really gone downhill. They are putting up sparse sprouts this spring and I've been digging out dead crowns in many spots. Any ideas what could cause this? I don't know what variety they are although I know they are fall bearing. I think they were originally just passed along from someone else. Perhaps they should start over in a new location with a newer cultivated strain. Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Raspberry beds don't last forever.......periodically you have to move to a new spot, just the way it is.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:54AM
steve22802(7a VA)

Thanks, bamboo rabbit, I didn't realize that. I'll explain this to my parents and we'll work on establishing a new patch in a different location.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 1:16PM
TheDerek

Could be viral also...

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 4:42PM
don555(3a)

Could be a disease, or could just be "too damn old". If the patch is 20 years old, some would argue 10 years old, then it needs rejuvenating. If you suspect disease might be an issue then maybe skip raspberries for several years to let the disease starve itself out. If wanting to rejuvenate right away, then at least choose a different spot in the yard.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 2:06AM
northernmn(3/4)

If you do move the patch, I wouldn't recommend using the old plants to start the new patch. buy some certified virus free plants for a clean start.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™