Neptunes Harvest and pests / raccoons

tucker46060April 25, 2012

All-

I fertilized some berry plants with a Neptune's Harvest mix ... came out the next day to find all kinds of digging and damage around the base of the plants, including destruction of some small developing canes.

Anyone else have problems with (what I assume were) raccoons after using fish emulsion? Any tricks to avoid this?

Thanks...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

Yes! My trick is not to use fish emulsion.

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 10:22AM
Mary614

Well you have several options.
1 dont use fish emulsion
2 live trap & relocate pest-you may want to apply a permanent mark livestock spray paint works well this will help determine that you are indeed relocating far enough away.
3 double strand electric fencing make sure it is properly grounded and check voltage regularly.
4 Ad on craigslist for coon hunters
:-)
Good luck

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 8:11PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Wish I'd seen this message a few days ago. Just took four vacation days to plant a large container garden, finishing up at 5 last night. For the first time ever I followed advice I've seen many times and watered everything in with a few cups of diluted Neptunes Harvest seaweed and fish emulsion. This morning, I woke up to find several pepper plants torn out of their pots and my only two okra plants destroyed. They hate root disturbance, but can be carefully transplanted. Mine were a foot tall and a month old. Raccoons completely bare-rooted them and tore off several leaves. I think they may not make it. I have now sprinkled my entire garden with cayenne (red prepper). It stopped something that was bothering my strawberry patch last year.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 3:00PM
tucker46060

A little follow up, based on advice I received.
This is one case where the raccoons' intelligence is good. They realize that despite the smell there is nothing there and quit coming back. I've continued fertilization with no further issues at all.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™