Apple phytoplasma

olpea(zone 6 KS)April 4, 2013

The following message was in my mailbox from an apple-crop member. I'm not familiar with phytoplasma, but it doesn't sound good. Olpea

"Information for Canadian Apple Stakeholders regarding the detection of Apple Proliferation Phytoplasma in Nova Scotia
Dear Canadian apple stakeholders,
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has detected apple proliferation phytoplasma (APP) in an apple orchard near Kentville, Nova Scotia. The affected orchard has been placed under quarantine.
APP (Candidatus Phytoplasma mali) is considered to be a quarantine pest in both Canada and the U.S. It is present throughout Europe, where it is considered to be one of the most critical diseases of apple trees. This is the first time APP has been detected in North America.
Please find attached to this email further information regarding the detection in Nova Scotia and APP.
In addition, the CFIA is planning to hold an Apple Stakeholder Information Session regarding the APP detection via teleconference. An invitation to this meeting will be sent to you in the coming weeks.
Please feel free to forward this email to your colleagues.
If you have any further questions please contact:
Charlene Green"

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Sounds like PPV, plum pox virus, also from Europe and first detected in Canada. Those folks are illegally importing budwood from buddies in Europe.

Canada spent something like $180 million trying to eradicate PPV and then gave up. Both are probably coming to an orchard near all of us at some point.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 10:54AM
More Discussions
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™