Is is possible to delay a berry harvest?

camp10April 30, 2013

I'm going to be away the last two weeks of June, which could be the time of heaviest strawberry harvest.

Is there any way to influence the production of berries? Maybe pinch off the first blossoms? Or remove the first berries?

Even if I could cause the heavy bearing season to be a week later it would help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franktank232(z5 WI)

Delay? Not thinking so...only thing i could think of was to speed it up with low tunnels, forcing fruit to mature sooner...

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 4:55PM
dmtaylor(5a (WI))

I don't have experience with this but I would think you could pull a lot of the first blossoms to delay things a bit. No? Somebody out there's got the experience to know.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 6:53PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

With June bearing you only get so many flowers, and it's done. So you could pull off flowers, but you may get a smaller harvest. With Everbearing or day neutral, harvest will continue till the end of summer. Since you will not be there, no matter what you have, you should probably pull off. You could also ask your neighbor to harvest berries and keep them for themselves. I had a ball eating my neighbors cherry tomatoes when she asked me to harvest them while she was gone! I also had to water them, and that might be something you need done too?

This post was edited by Drew51 on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 22:15

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 10:14PM
treehugger2012

From my experience Strawberry is like tomatoes when they decide to ripen and get red they all do it at once. I urge them please don't all of you get red at once but they never listen. I think the temperature will affect the ripening too.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 12:58AM
camp10

Thanks for the replies.

We are having a late spring, so I'm hoping that I will be home for the second half of the harvest.

I'll probably let the neighbors pick until I get back.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 9:44AM
Michael

Aint it a bummer, last year during peach harvest time we were unavailable to harvest most of the crop so I instructed a few neighbors how to tell what what was ripe enough to pick and they got a lot of fruit. We got a little fruit. I'm just glad no fruit went to waste, there was a lot of it!

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™