Blackberry rednecked cane borer control / leaf spot

Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)April 12, 2013

I have a fair sized population of these now and they set back some of my canes badly. I have not done anything to control them but plan on starting up this year. I would like to hear what other folks have done. This spring I pruned out any canes where I saw damage on, to hopefully limit the number of adults that emerge. I am not planning on using an insecticide yet but if it gets worse I may go there.

By the way while I am posting on blackberry problems I have also had problems with leaf spot. I am pretty sure it is septoria leaf spot. It is also something I have done nothing with until this year, but I hit them with lime-sulphur a few weeks ago since sulphur is supposed to be a reasonable control.

Scott

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jtburton

I had septoria leaf spot on my bosyenberries pretty bad in late summer and just a little bit on one of the marionberries. I think my watering practices contributed to the problem but have read that boysen and other trailing varieties are more susceptible than other blackberry / hybrid varieties. I sprayed them with a copper solution before they leafed out and plan to use drip irrigation this year.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 10:21AM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Scott,

I've tried sanitation (cutting out galled canes) but I never noticed it helped any. Perhaps there are just too many wild blackberries here which provide alternate host sites.

I'm more or less living with it. They don't seem to gall all the canes here.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 11:14AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I wonder if copper or lime/sulphur is better for septoria leaf spot. In looking for controlled studies I could not find anything. Since I already did a sulphur I will also do a copper in a few weeks. One site recommended 3 copper sprays in the spring.

I don't have many wild blackberries around so I will try removing the galls for a bit and see how it works.

Scott

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 5:47PM
larry_gene

In my berry patch septoria mainly takes hold on the over-wintered leaves and new growth is nearly unblemished through the fruiting season.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 11:20PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Larry, my bigger septoria problems could be due to greater stress on the plants. They don't like my heat very much. I noticed that the growth completely stalled in the hottest part of the summer, they didn't budge.

Scott

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 7:54AM
More Discussions
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Growing Fruit Trees in Raised Beds
Hi, Glad to reconnect with the gardenweb again (I used...
tuvalu39
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™