Growing Loganberries in the NorthEast?

czimmApril 21, 2013

Has anyone tried to grow loganberries in the NorthEast? I am in Upstate New York. They are supposed to be ok for my zone, but I can't find any info on successfully (or unsuccessfully!) growing them outside of OR and WA. Any advice would be appreciated before I make (another) gardening mistake!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eclecticcottage(6b wny)

Hm...we just bought one from Turnbull down in Collins (?) NY. I imagine they must work out ok, or they wouldn't sell them (hopefully anyway, lol).

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 10:34AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

They are not hardy. I tried for about five years and quit. If you search this forum there are threads on hardy trailing blackberries; Boysenberry seems to be the best choice for colder places like yours.

They still can be grown if you take the canes down and cover them with a thick cover for the winter. I did that for a few years but then got tired of all the work.

The fact that a local nursery sells something doesn't mean much, local nurseries tend to know almost nothing about fruit.

Scott

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 3:46PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

I'm going to try and grow them here too, last night it got down to 28 degrees and the plant is actively growing, no damage on leaves, although some of my tropical plants got hit bad. Anyway an encouraging sign. If they can take the winter, we will see, but the plant seems pretty hardy to me so far. I know that 28 degrees is not extremely cold, but when active leaves shows no damage that tells you a lot about it's ability to withstand cold. Fruitnut's plants didn't fair well in these temps.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 5:17PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Drew, the hardiness of leaves is not closely tied to dormant hardiness. If you don't cover them this winter and you get zone 6 lows, they are very likely to die - even 10F is cold for them and you are 20 degrees below that by zone.

The original thorny Logan is probably more hardy but it seems to have disappeared.

Scott

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 6:05PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

I found a supplier in the U.K.

Here is a link that might be useful: LY59 Thorny Loganberry

This post was edited by milehighgirl on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 22:55

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 6:54PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Anybody grow Lochness in Z6?

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 8:00PM
More Discussions
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™