Bud 9 root stock stake

wlh8723(7)April 11, 2013

I have just grafted a couple of Apples onto Bud 9 root stock. I understand they will need permanent stakes. Some say a 10 foot metal stake is best but some say an 8 foot stake will do. Which is correct? why?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I've seldom needed stakes more than 5ft above ground. This for trees reaching 8-9ft on M9. But it depends on your training system and desired height. Is it just for support or also as a training aid?

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 11:57AM
dmtaylor(5a (WI))

I think a 4-foot stake is just fine. I've got 4-footers for my young trees and I don't even use them, honestly. I think once the trees begin bearing heavily I will tie up the trunks. But I certainly fail to see how an 8 or 10-foot stake is necessary to hold up a 7-8 foot tall tree. 4-6 foot stake should be plenty fine.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 11:57AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Soil also has a big effect on how much staking you need. I have lots of M9/B9 and some parts of my orchard are heavily staked and other parts I never needed a stake. My lazy approach is I stake a tree when it first starts to lean, but not before then. I use 6' stakes. More than the size of the upper is getting the lower hammered in deep enough; you only need about 4' of upper to tie up the tree, any more is not going to make it more stable since the soil movement is the weak link in the chain.

Scott

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 12:33PM
marc5(6aOH)

I have two trees on B9: Empire and William's Pride. Each is staked with a 6.5' T-post, so that there is 5' of post above ground. They are in heavy soil, planted 8 years ago. I think they are benefiting from the posts, keeping them more upright than they would be otherwise. I don't think they would need anything taller. I wonder if variety would be a factor--vigorous or not--as well as the soil type that Scott mentions.

Marc

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 11:52PM
More Discussions
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™