Good source for Plant Skydd?

olpea(zone 6 KS)April 27, 2012

I need a couple lbs. of Plant Skydd to keep deer off some young apple trees. Anyone know of a cheap source?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I would consider Deer Out instead, in my experience it works about as well and you can buy it in gallon concentrate. Plant Skydd soon ages into a super stinky mess that clogs your sprayer. Deer Out is used like any spray additive, 1 1/2 cups per gallon and you are good to go. Shelf life is over a year.

I am doing OK this spring so far with Deer Out, I have a fence up on their main approach and have been keeping the Deer Out coverage constant.

Scott

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 11:34AM
glenn_russell(6b RI)

Scott is right of course... I don't even try to spray it. I make a light paste in a coffee can and paint it on with an old paint brush. I figure since it works on fear, it's trying to keep the deer out of the general area rather than making the individual parts of the tree taste bad. After doing that, at other times, I'll mix in Deer Out with my normal fungicide/insecticide sprays. By rotating sprays I hope to keep the deer from building up a tolerance to one or the other. (Sometimes, when I don't have any fruit on the tree, I'll also spray smelly Liquid Fence for the same reason). Anyway, I got mine right from PlantSkyDD.com.
-Glenn

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 5:39PM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Thanks Scott and Glenn. Based on what you guys are telling me, perhaps I'll start with the Deer Out. Do you know a cheap source of Deer Out?

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 8:26PM
glenn_russell(6b RI)

I get my DeerOut at my local nursery, or from www.deerout.com. I just got an email from them the other day. If you use the code "Deer 11", you get $5 off.
-Glenn

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 9:26PM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Thanks Glenn!

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 11:52PM
More Discussions
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™