Help With Weed Control In Blackberries

SgtKarl(7)April 25, 2013

Hello All,

I have various and numerous weeds growing in and around my blackberry plants. I have pulled the ones right around the plants but would like to know if there is a herbicide that is safe to use on the weeds and not harm the blackberries.

Research suggests soaps, clove oil, or pelargonic acid (Sythe) sprayed carefully away from the blackberry plants.

I also plan on putting down pine bark mulch to control weeds. What depth of mulch would control weeds but allow the primocanes to emerge.

Thank you for your help.

Karl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Raw_Nature(5 OH)

Just mulch heavily, please don't use herbicides. Mulch, mulch, mulch! Blackberries are pretty hardy, they will likely emerge.. Also, just keep pulling the weeds roots.. Pull and mulch, pull and mulch!

Weeds aren't going to damage your canes, why spray poisons on them just for your own preference? Work with the weeds! Research foraging, find out what weeds is growing, it is probably edible, and highly medicinal. A lot of weeds grow for a reason, to benefit the soil, not to hurt anything. Lay down a layer of mulch and watch your problem dissipate.

Joe

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 11:26AM
SgtKarl(7)

Joe,

Thanks for the info. I'll get the kids to pulling weeds and mulch them.

Karl

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 1:22PM
larry_gene

Keeping a one-foot radius free of weeds around each blackberry clump is all that's necessary. Mulch that area 3-4" to suppress weeds; primocanes will emerge fine.

Clearing a larger radius of weeds will allow weeding less often as they will not encroach on the canes so often.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 11:26PM
kittymoonbeam

Add some sand to the surface. When you weed, the sand works itself in and makes weeding easier the next time. The blackberries like the sand too.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 11:30PM
northwoodswis4

Spread newspapers or cardboard under the mulch to help suppress weeds even more. Northwoodswis

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 2:12AM
Chris-7b-GA(7b)

Landscape fabric if used by alot of commercial growers, there is a poster on this site that has a u-pick farm, see his pictures of how he does it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barber berry farm

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 6:08AM
trianglejohn

I've done everything that is suggested above and I still have lots and lots of weeds. If you apply a lot of mulch, it eventually breaks down into compost and makes a nice fluffy layer on the surface. Weeds are a lot easier to pull out of the fluff than the soil.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:02AM
melikeeatplants

Yeah, what John said, all these weed seeds that grow up in my mulch come out very easily...

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 1:18PM
SgtKarl(7)

Thank all of you for the information.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 3:08PM
More Discussions
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™