Red leaves on blueberries in Spring?

JLieuApril 15, 2012

Hi all,

New to the forums and actually new to gardening in general. I recently got several blueberries (Northland and Toro varieties) and within a week or so, I noticed that some of them began showing red leaves. At the moment, we have them in containers.

I looked around and it seemed relatively normal in the Fall, but we are in Spring so it was kind of odd. Further research showed that it could be a variety of things from pH to nutrient deficiencies to even disease. In any case, here are two photos of them if it may help. Based on what I could gather, it may just be due to the weather or a phosphorus deficiency.

http://db.tt/AIfvNGdw

http://db.tt/JssMa66j

As you can see in one of the photo, the flowers on the Toros seems to have the most red on them. I am not sure if this is normal, but one of them (the Toro) has flowers falling off/shriveling off and fruit coming in.

We are in Bowling Green, KY (about an hour from Nashville). The weather has been odd lately. One week it was in the warm 70-80s, the next it would drop down to the 30s-40s. It has been 40-60s this week and finally got to 60-80s this weekend.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb(wa8)

Hi JLieu,
Mine get that way when the ground isn't warm enough,like right now.Blueberries need some heat to process some of the nutrients they use.I live in the Seattle area and things are beginning to get warm.I took these shots a few minutes ago. Brady

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 10:52AM
JLieu

Ah ok. Very good to know! Thank you very much for the pictures Bradybb.

I was getting a bit concerned since this is my first experience with blueberries. In addition, we are relatively new to the area (originally from Orange County, California and Gulf Coast, Mississippi) so we are trying to get accustomed to the four seasons climate as well. Apparently, 50 degrees is not considered 'cold' around here...haha.

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 12:17PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Yes, I agree, very good to know. I recenty received 2 small leafed out b'berry bushes. The leaves started green, but turned a little red. I was assuming there was a little shipping/transplant shock. Plus the temps. were colder than they were used to. Good to know it's nothing to worry about!

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 4:18PM
More Discussions
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™