Redoing Old Strawberry Bed

val1(z4 UT)April 27, 2013

I have an old bed of Seascape strawberries that has been taken over by weeds. It is a raised bed. I took all of the strawberries out and was going to put them back in after I took care of the weeds. Then I read that strawberry plants lose production after a few years and should be replaced with new plants. These plants have never really been good at sending out runners, so I do not have many young plants. The plants I have look like they have old crowns. Should I put those back in or should I purchase new plants? If I purchase new plants, does anyone have suggestions on varieties that are sweet and juicy. I would like a few berries all summer long, so everbearing would be best. We have enjoyed the Seascape but the berries have been rather small.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

Tristar and Tribute are good day neutral berries that have a decent size. They'll never be a big as Junebearers.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 12:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shazaam(NC 7B)

I'd replace the plants if I were you. It's interesting that your Seascape plants produced small berries -- they're normally advertised as doing just the opposite.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™