Dwarf apple trees

Priscilla1969April 6, 2013

I have had 4 dwarf apple tree for about 7 years now. Which I bought from my sister when they were about 5 years old. In the 7 years that I have had them I have only got one apple. Yes 1. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. What is a good fertilzer that I should try and when should I use it. I live in upstate NY. The trees are starting to bud. Also I did not prun them this year. Is it to late to do that? Please help. I would love to get maybe 2 apples this year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

You can still prune but, seems like theyr'e not growing much?
Then..compost, old manure or higher middle number fertilizer.

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 1:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bencjedi(6 - Central Kentucky)

Same issue with mine in Central Kentucky, but for semi-dwarfs! On the 5th year and am lucky to have 1 or 2 apples. I even do the routine fungicides\ pesticide schedules. Part of the problem for me is that although Fuji and McIntosh are supposed to be compatible, the Fuji blooms first and just as it is closing off its last blooms the McIntosh starts blooming. There is a very narrow time (talking a week at most) where both trees have a few blooms each. I just planted two Goldrush dwarfs that are supposed to be compatible with both, so I am hoping for a super long bloom time created by adding these to help the Fuji and McIntosh. I think pollination is my biggest issue. I'm the only yard around for miles with apple trees evidently! I did put out a liquid blooming and rooting fertilizer a month or so ago, so will see if that helps. The local gardening radio show guy said to fertilize in the fall and in winter wouldn't hurt, so I figured I would give that a try too.

Maybe your issue is also pollination. I don't see many bees around anymore. I am also going to plant a lot more flowers this year to try to attract more pollinators.

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™