Buds on bare root Cherry tree won't sprout

dkdivedudeApril 20, 2009

About 8 weeks ago I received several bare root fruit trees and bushes from an online company. Pretty much everything is growing except 3 dwarf North Star Cherry trees. Now it did take me about a week and a half after I received them before I got to plant them. In that time they were in my unheated dark basement, in their original moist plastic shipping container. I scraped one tree and it is green under the bark.

Any suggestions? I thought of taking all 3 trees out of the ground and soak it all, roots and buds overnight.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Don't try to do anything, disturbing the roots just makes things worse. Just wait and see is about all you can do.

Some trees never wake up due to loss of energy during digging up shipment etc. Sitting out for a long period in your basement didn't help. I have had particular problems with trees from Millers never waking up. Some of them stayed green under the bark most of the summer but they never woke.

Scott

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 11:26AM
dkdivedude

Ok just to make sure. Is there nothing I can do? What about for example to wrap wet, and keep it wet paper towel around the buds in hopes of soaking and swelling them - just and idea.

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 8:33AM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

No, Scott's right, don't do anything. If the tree is alive it and the ground has proper moisture, the roots will supply the buds with sap. Keeping a wet paper towel around the buds will likely prolong dormancy by keeping the buds cooler and dark. Excessive soil moisture will also prolong dormancy.

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 11:34AM
jellyman(6/7VA)

dkdive:

Just leave your trees alone. They will rise or fall as you originally planted them. Above all, do not ever soak cherry roots in water. Water is not the issue here, unless there is so much water around the tree roots from rainfall that they have drowned.

Excess moisture can kill cherry trees. They need to grow in a spot with good soil drainage. Cherries can also be slower to leaf out than other species.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™