Shagbark/Shellbark hickories, self pollinating?

fireweed22April 21, 2013

Any idea if shagbark and shellbark hickories are self pollinating?

And on the topic, how about black walnut? I've got a few other Juglans species- was hoping they may all pollinate each other. Buartnut, butternut, carpathian walnuts...

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fireweed22

Did a web search and found out both that certain cultivars are self pollinating, AND that the species are self pollinating.
More confused with that.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

The hickories, and black walnuts,for that matter, have not received nearly so much study and research as their more economically-relevant relative, the pecan.
You *might* get some nuts with a single, solitary tree, but extrapolating from the pecan data and some of the BW stuff I've read, you really need at least two selections; not sure how pronounced dichogamy is with the hickories, but it's pretty stark in the pecan. Have seensome claims that hickory pollen is self-incompatible - don't know if that's the case, or if the difference intiming beween catkin pollen-shed and nutlet flower receptivity is such that they are unlikely to self-pollenize.
Pollen is wind-carried, so if there are other hickories in the area, they will get the job done. If you've got the space, I'd plant at least 2-3.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:03AM
More Discussions
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™