white nectarine question?

tj-oakApril 6, 2012

I live in the country of central C.A. 50 miles south of Sacramento. I have a little fruit orchard that I planted. This year I added 2 white nectarines. One is a late season and the other is a mid season. The late season one has leafed out like the rest of my orchard but the mid season one has not. If you look close it sure looks like it has little leaf buds on it but every day I look, and it hasn't done anything. Is there something I should do or just replace it? Also I hate to say it but my new late season nectarine has lost 2 of it's 4 branches, is there a way that I can get that tree to send out one or two branches out of it? It's pushing leaves good right now. By the way these were bare root, thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

tj:

The way to tell if the tree has hope is to scrape on the limbs. If it is green under the bark the tree from that point down still has a chance to push buds. Brown and it's dead from there out.

To push more limbs down low you need to prune the tree down to a lower height. But this is most effective if done while the tree is still dormant. After it gets growing, cutting back may not push many new buds.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 12:11PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Sometimes peaches just don't leaf out, the plant may not have the energy. I had one tree sit there for two years doing absolutely nothing but still green; it finally died. Every once in awhile a tree will wait until the next spring to leaf out but usually they are toast. There may also be some chill issue with your tree, I don't know about chill so can't help on that aspect.

Scott

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 12:42PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

tj, we've had such an odd winter and early spring that I wouldn't worry about this too much, yet. Be sure you're watering adequately, and I would also make sure to apply a good fertilizer formulated for fruit trees. I use Grow Power "Bloom & Grow". Water it in well. As our temps start to warm up, I bet your mid-season peach will wake up. I have my much higher chill hour peaches (Saturn, Donut) finally blooming, while my lower chill hour and mid-season interpecifics like Bella Gold peacotum finally starting to leaf out and bloom. They are young trees. Give them a couple of seasons to get acclimated to our milder weather, and they will start to behave more appropriately.

Patty S.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 4:33PM
tj-oak

I did make a little scape at the end of the branch and it was green. This is a awesome site I'am glad I found it, thanks for the info.

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 10:29AM
More Discussions
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Help understanding huckleberries
I recently enjoyed some huckleberry pie and was pleasantly...
pushindirt
Wisconsin honeyberry/haskap growers?
I'm combining the two as it seems with continued breeding...
wisconsitom
Getting rid of grape vines.
Is there something other than using a chemical to get...
marylmi
Growing Anything Under A Black Walnut Tree
Hi Gang.....maybe someone here has a solution or idea,...
Greenhorn2
Sponsored Products
David Bromstad "Huh" Artwork
Grandin Road
Spring Keepsake Box - GOLD
$75.00 | Horchow
Nelson | Cigar Lamp With Stand
$325.00 | YLighting
Personalized Oval Cutting Board with Name or Phrase - 24"
$195.00 | FRONTGATE
Question Mark Stool
Italy Design