Tree Gator Bags

mrsg47(7)April 13, 2012

Hi all, I was wondering, that since I do not and will not have a watering system in my small orchard can I use 'Tree Gator' Bags that hold 14 gals. of water that slowly drip into the ground for my newly planted trees? Otherwise, I carry gallons of water to my orchard on my next lot. Good exercise, but. . . with six new trees its not easy. I have one hose with four extensions that will make the trip down to the orchard, but water is exceedingly expensive where I live. Filling the bags once then hand watering after that might be a good idea? Mrs. G

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

you would fill the bags as many times as is necessary.. to keep the tree PROPERLY WATERED thru the whole growing season ... IN YOUR SOIL ... and ONLY YOU can tell you how much water is needed in your soil ...

why did you say once??

ken

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 1:21PM
Randy31513(Georgia 8b)

Just a couple of thoughts. You might want to get a barrel to catch rain water off the roof and mount it on a pull cart behind like a lawn mower.

I also took a broken short, hot water heater, stripped off the insulation then mounted a hose fitting to it on the drain. Had a fifty gallon water tank for nothing.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 2:23PM
mrsg47(7)

Hi Ken and Randy,thanks for the thoughts. I said once Ken, because after the initial bag of water, I would hand water.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™