cracks in bark on Royal apricot tree

centexgardengirl(8b)April 10, 2013

Hi all. I planted a Royal apricot tree about 6 weeks ago. It developed small hairline cracks horizontally, I have seen a small amount of amber colored sap but no evidence of insect infestation of any kind. The tree is about 1.5" in diameter and was purchased from a reputable nursery. Any idea what could be causing this and should I be concerned? It is part of a high density planting and shares space with a Blenheim apricot and a Surecrop nectarine. Thanks, Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Yes you should be concerned if the cracks extend all the way into the cambium. Is the bark loose around the cracks? Is the tree growing well?

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 11:52AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

What causes cracks?

We have some old trees, and the trunks have some pretty deep cracks that look like they've been there for years. An apricot, a peach, a plum. They seem healthy. All are loaded with fruit, and their leaves are very green. They are on a steep hillside, and it's hard to get down to the trunks.

Wondering what the worry is.

Suzi

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 12:01PM
centexgardengirl(8b)

Thanks fruitnut, the cracks are very small and on the surface only. The tree seems to be growing well and has leafed out but no blossoms. My other apricot, the Blenheim had many blooms, then leaves and actually set fruit but a late frost killed them.

Thanks,

Karen

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 8:38PM
centexgardengirl(8b)

desertdance, what a coincidence mine are all on a hill too but in raised beds because the soil is so rocky here and very clay-ey. Hopefully I'm fretting over nothing...

Thanks,

Karen

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 8:54PM
centexgardengirl(8b)

desertdance, what a coincidence mine are all on a hill too but in raised beds because the soil is so rocky here and very clay-ey. Hopefully I'm fretting over nothing...

Thanks,

Karen

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 8:55PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

Mine are just on a slope that is part of the leach fields from the septic, and I think they get so much fertilizer that they just grow!

So do the weeds.

I guess the fear of cracks in the bark would be disease or bugs or something, but these trees are so old, and the cracks are so deep.... And they are so loaded with fruit.........

Suzi

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Last year I had no nectarines
What have I done right with this tree to give me so...
mrronny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™