asian pear not happy after transplanting

nothwehrApril 11, 2012

Last October I moved one of my asian pears to one part of my yard to another and it is now having issues. Background: this tree was planted in its original spot in my yard (from a potted tree purchased at a nursery) during the Fall of 2010. It is currently about 3-4 feet high. In the thread below I posed a question about pruning this tree and there are images in the thread that shows what it looked like this winter when it was dormant (and in its new location):

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0109393119306.html

Anyway, I did a bit of pruning last winter and at first everything looked fine when it leafed out this spring. However in the past 2 weeks the leaves have started looking kind of droopy. It is definitely kind of stressed. As soon as I noticed this I watered the tree and it bounced back for a couple days before looking droopy again. So I have been watering it every 3 days or so and hoping it snaps out of it. I did my best to preserve as many of the roots as possible when I moved it but undoubtedly I damaged/pruned some of these. Is there anything else I can do to help my tree pull through? Thanks, Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

is it or did it bolt due to hot weather.. w/o having enough of a root mass to support it all???

it might seem so.. if it recovers with water ...

insert finger.. and water when it needs it.. not on some schedule.. and cool the soil with proper mulch if you havent..

only time will tell ...

ken

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 3:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nothwehr

Ken, I'm not sure what you mean by 'bolt'. It came out of dormancy in late March and had some blooms on it for the first time. The top photo on this web-page (see link below) shows the tree as it was coming out of dormancy. So I thought it had survived the transplant last Fall in good shape. Here in Maryland we really haven't had hot weather yet. Since I started noticing the droopy leaves I don't think it has gotten above the 70's though we could use rain. I'm a little concerned about watering it too much though. I suppose another possibility is that a borer is damaging the roots. Does this seem plausible? Anyway, you are probably right that there's not much I can do at this point except make sure it is adequately watered. The only other (desperate) action I can think of would be to do some additional pruning to lower the number of leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: pear in late march

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
Jujube plants from roger
I would like to have jujube shanxi li. I know roger...
bunti
Lime Sulphur spray--I feel like I was just robbed by Hi-yield
I have no idea why Hi-yield (or maybe it's the sellers)...
dave_7b
Apricots, Hunza and Manchurian blossom and flowering.
Hi, I live in Oslo, Norway, which is around a 5b or...
roots_feeding
conflicting pawpaw spacing info
Last week I planted several dozen paw paw. I had read...
Bushwhacker Blood
What is happening to my Apple Tree? Fixes?
We purchased this tree and planted it a year ago. ...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™