What to do about plum aphid leaf curl?

peachymomo(Ca 8)April 5, 2013

My Mom's house has some fruit trees planted by the previous owner, one is a pretty big Santa Rosa plum and the first year it had one branch with lots of curly leaves. The next year it had even more curly leaves, I went to my favorite nursery to ask what to do and they said that it's plum aphids and the best thing is to just leave them alone and let the natural predators eat them. Two years later the Santa Rosa is heavily affected and I just noticed aphids on my new Elephant Heart plum as well, so I'm tired of waiting for natural predation to take effect and I started looking into other methods of control.

Everything I've found is geared towards commercial crops, and the pesticide info is pretty technical and intimidating. Any suggestions about backyard orchard techniques for plum aphid management? I would rather not use really nasty chemicals, but I have a sprayer and will break it out once the trees have gone dormant.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
econ0003(10a CA / 8b CA)

Neem oil will suffocate them and it is pretty safe. I spot spray the infected areas until they are dripping wet. Check back every few days and respray if needed.

I keep my trees to 8' or less so that I can spray easily standing on the ground or using a short step stool. If it is a larger tree then it may be more difficult to treat.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:48PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Neem will work great as Tom has mentioned, and I would also first blast the trees with water, to knock off the aphids. If they have their probiscus inserted into the leaf, the blast of water usually will break off the probiscus, thus starving (and then killing) the aphid. Then, spray with Neem making sure you get the underside of the leaves. A couple of times of doing that should get rid of the aphids. Do you see any ladybugs or lacewings at all on your trees or in your yard?

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 3:00PM
peachymomo(Ca 8)

I see lots of ladybugs around the yard, I'm not sure about lacewings but I think that there are plenty of insects. We have a mix of native wildflowers and grasses in the field and it seems to be a pretty good habitat for bugs of all kinds. I noticed some red ants on the Elephant Heart plum, I think they might be farming the aphids.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 3:34PM
More Discussions
Urgent grafting advice: Experiment Antonovka +/- B9 interstem
You can read my previous posts to see photos of my...
hungryfrozencanuck
Can I prevent Fire Blight the way I prevent Peach Leaf Curl?
Okay, so it's pretty easy to prevent peach leaf curl....
frostygardener
Haskap or Honeyberry?
I am in zone 6 in southern Illinois, so I get extreme...
flowerchild59
WHO called glyphosate a "probable carcinogen"
More and more studies seem to be coming out against...
canadianplant
Looking for Carmine Jewel Cherries?
I know a lot of people are looking for carmine jewel...
clarkinks
Sponsored Products
Red 3528 LED Strip Light 60/m 8mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Rosilini Silver Leaf 16 1/2" x 31 1/2" Wall Mirror
$84.95 | Lamps Plus
Raise the Bar Table
| Dot & Bo
Etro Plums Printed Camelback Nail Trim Dining Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Coolaroo Replacement Dog Bed Cover - Grey - 434816
$13.99 | Hayneedle
Ar Ruthiane Black 46-Inch Ceiling Fan with Metal Blades
Bellacor
Vento Antique Silver Finish 30" Wide Round Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Modus Pendant by Quorum International
$59.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™