Apple Tree Disease

buffbenjApril 2, 2013

I live in NE GA and have 8 apple trees. 4 are blooming, but the 4 that are not have a black discoloration on the trunk. They are contiguous in line, separate from the 4 healthy ones. Is this a common fungal infection or insect infestation. One of the diseased trees has a 2" x 6" area on the trunk where the bark is gone and the wood is soft and rotten. There are alot of fresh woodpecker holes on this one tree. I could cut this half of the trunk, but this tree may be a goner. I do show one of the healthy ones with new bud/leaf growth. I have contacted the UGA cooperative extension service, but wanted a comparison opinion. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

If they're not leafing out then it's time to take them out.
If one stem happens to show life then cut the other one off.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 8:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Four trees don't often die in the same spot, did something happen to the soil in the area around the trees, or is it in a low area that was flooded for a period? Usually its a root problem when this happens. Fireblight can kill trees but on bigger trees like that you will see it on the top and not at the base. What you are seeing on your trees just sounds like dead wood, no disease in particular.

Scott

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 8:35AM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™