Silver lining in this cold weather?

Dan.NY(5b)April 27, 2012

I have heard ideas floating around that since this winter was mild it would be a bad year for insects. I got to thinking and wondered if this late cold snap might work in our favor, in terms of insects. At least for my area, a number of nights below freezing, and at least one hard freezing night. (Right now with wind chill supposed to be near 24F!!). Anyone think the various fruit ruining insects might get seriously reduced in numbers this year because of this cold snap? Blossoms are out early, seems like maybe eggs would have been laid and hatched early. Is this wishful thinking on my part??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

A good question. I wish I knew more about the habits of the elusive curculio. I know it's most active when the weather heats up, but does it get inactive in cold weather? Go dormant? Die? Should we time our sprays for the temperatures?

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 2:24PM
glib(5.5)

I would be interested in reports about curculio populations this year in the Midwest and Northeast. Surely if there is one major fruit pest that is going to be affected by the weather pattern this is it. CM probably will not be affected, and apple maggots also emerge substantially later.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 2:55PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Probably wishful thinking. It's not like this has never happened before to these insects. They've had thousands to millions of years to adapt to craze weather. I'd suspect that most are delayed in development just like the fruit.

If anything would set back a fruit insect it would be a total freeze out. I'd bet that won't help much next year either. They have alternate hosts.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 2:55PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

I'm thinking this weekend, when we had a temp of 71F, at least one female was out in the yard hitting a few apricots in one tree, along with a couple sweet cherries. My guess is that these early curculio are coming right from the yard, or maybe right from under the tree and crawling up. I don't think they fly until it gets warmer. I really need to think about a PC trap to know for sure when they are present.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 3:34PM
More Discussions
what are signs that a cleft graft has failed and how soon to know?
Also, when grafting onto rootstock, how high up do...
tlbean2004
Where to buy Titan, Vernon, and Ochlockonee Blueberry plants?
I live in East Texas between DFW and Texarkana off...
sidpost
newly planted blueberries turning red
I planted 15 blueberries, 8 biloxi and 7 star. 10 of...
tugagardener
Indoor Spring Start To Raspberries
Hi...under advisement from Cornell University, they...
Greenhorn2
Thinning Pears
I have several varieties of pear trees (Bartlett, Comics,...
walterdavidwilson
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™