What to do about Pears

FarmerJonesApril 29, 2012

In 1975 I planted 9 Biscamp and Lacounte pears. After a few years I got a crop every year without spraying, fertilizing or watering. Hurricane Rita took out the last couple of trees still standing. Now that I have planted again I have discovered that there are a large number of sprays to be applied several times during the season. Can someone tell me what needs to be sprayed and when. My pears are Orient, Moonglow and Biscamp. I also need some help with the citrus. I have some Bonide dormant oil and Bonide citrus, fruit & nut as well as some Hy Yield lime sulpur. Is all this enough? Some are saying not to mix dormant oil and sulfur.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

FJ,
You never sprayed before. Do you need to now, or has someone just told you that you need to?
I don't spray ANY pear - they mostly don't need it; and that's a driving force in largely abandoning or taking out most of the apples and all the stonefruits I planted early on; pears will produce heavy crops of mostly good, if not perfect, fruits with little care and no spraying.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 1:05PM
More Discussions
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™