Fuyu Persimmon Question

karyn1(7a)April 27, 2011

I have a grafted Fuyu that is going on it's 5th year. It started flowering the 3rd year and produced a few fruit that dropped very early on. It was pretty small so I didn't think anything of it. It's about 5 1/2' now with a nice canopy. Last year was the first time that I had a decent amount of fruit but it all dropped, most soon before ripening. The tree looks healthy with nice foliage. Can anyone tell me why the fruit keeps dropping and how to prevent it this season? It starting to leaf out a couple weeks ago. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

Hi Karyn,

Persimmon does drops fruits if too much nitrogen fertilizer. Lucky Pittman has a big persimmon orchard and he recommended no fertilizer at all on persimmon tree.

Tony

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 2:59PM
karyn1(7a)

I don't fertilize it. I did ammend the soil prior to planting the tree because we have hard red clay but I don't think that would make a difference, especially after so many years. Anything else you can think of that would cause the fruit to drop?

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 3:48PM
alexander3_gw(6 Pennsylvania)

I've read that irregular watering can cause fruit drop. So a dry spell followed by a lot of rain might do it.

Alex

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 6:26PM
persimmonbob(6b)

My take on persimmon is,do not fertalize these tree,s because they have a taproot,that get all the stuff they need.
If you see some wilting you can spray a fungacide that is all. The only benefit is a foliar spray of mangenese, make sure it does not contain nitrogen. Make sure you do not see excessive growth. The more you leave them alone the better they like it.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™