Does anyone have a picture of a fruiting Wonderful Pomegrana

ashleybakesApril 2, 2012

I bought what was tagged a "Wonderful" fruiting pomegranate from a nursery, and it is absolutely thriving (for four years now) in my yard, but it has never set any fruit. The flowers are bright red, very thick, ruffly, and carnation-like. I wonder if I have an ornamental variety instead, or if that is what wonderful blooms look like. Googling brings up conflicting photos (some look like mine, some look compltely different)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sautesmom

Whenever I am wondering about the ID of my plants, I use Google images.

Carla in Sac

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1119&bih=540&q=wonderful+pomegranate&gbv=2&oq=wonderful+pome&aq=0amp;aqi=g2g-S6g-mS2&aql=&gs_l=img.1.0.0l2j0i24l6j0i5i24l2.1500l3688l0l8594l14l9l0l0l0l0l344l1297l2-1j3l4l0.frgbld.

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 2:46PM
ashleybakes

I did that already-I tried google images for Wonderful Pomegranate flower, and get many results, however, they look different. Some are a double flower, and some are a less-full flower. I'm wondering if anyone has a double-flowering wonderful that actually produces fruit? There is mention of one that looks similar to mine that also doesn't set fruit-but I wonder what a true, fruiting, wonderful bloom looks like.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 6:02PM
sautesmom

LE Cooke includes flower photos for some of its fruit trees, and it looks like Wonderful is one of them

Carla in Sac

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.lecooke.com/cms/fruit-trees/pomegranate-trees.html

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 6:20PM
ashleybakes

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for. My flower looks nothing like that, I must have gotten a mistagged ornamental variety. :(

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 7:12PM
melikeeatplants

But the ornamentals do fruit as well, just not to the amount, size, and taste of ones grown for fruit.

Google "pomegranate yahoo group" to see a forum dedicated to poms. You can't post yahoo group links here...

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 7:47PM
More Discussions
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™