what else can I graft to manchurian apricot rootstock?

windfall_rob(vt4)April 9, 2012

I have a small manchurian apricot that grew from a failed bench graft last spring. I had extras so this was not a problem, and I just let it grow with the others in a nursery bed.

Everything else has been placed and the bed needs to be cleared....trying to decide what to do with it.

If I decide to keep it, Are there other stone fruit that will graft successfully to it?

How does it's (manchurian) bloom time compare to selected varieties and will it provide pollination?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franktank232(z5 WI)

Wouldn't peaches, plums work fine with apricot?

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 5:44PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

My understanding is nothing reliably grafts to apricot besides apricot. But the data on these things is pretty sparse and it may well work OK. So if you are counting on it I would say don't, but if you have nothing to lose why not give it a shot. Peach can take apricot and plum but just because something works in one direction doesn't mean it will work in the other.

Scott

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 7:29PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

I got a manchurian many years ago but it doesn't fruit as seen in pictures, the fruit is kind of mealy/dry, looks more like a plum. Could be some different seddling? I then grafted other plums onto it, it seems to have worked for me. I would just do it and see the outcome.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 12:30AM
windfall_rob(vt4)

Thanks all.

I had read that peach would work but was "short lived"...whatever that means. And I saw one reference to asian type plums working.

Konrad, were those euro or asian hybrid plums that you tried?

Good full sun space is pretty precious to us, if I can let it grow up a bit and then use it to host multiple grafts then I am inclined to give it the space. But that is sounded dodgy at best.

Obviously I could graft more apricot onto it, but they are such a stretch for us I had not planned to try more.

I had also considered no grafts and planting it off on the "edge" where it will get rather poor sun but still be close to the other apricots. Leave it purely for the spring flowers to see (and aide pollination) and to possibly use as a "trap tree" for the PC pressure. But I think it would fruit to rarely to use in that fashion.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 7:59AM

>>Konrad, were those euro or asian hybrid plums that you tried? It was Manchurian (Prunus mandschurica)

Here is a link that might be useful: Apricot Manchurian (Prunus mandschurica)

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 7:26PM

This is the plum I grafted on, [Sprout's Sunshine]

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 7:33PM
john_in_sc

"Peach Tree Short Life" is a common rootstock issue... It's especially problematic in places with cold winters....

Around here... where we don't have frozen tundra winters... What it means is that your peach graft will probably take - but it won't live much past 5-10 years.. and will probably die after the first really hard winter... Now... Our "Hard winters" are about like what you guys would call "Spring"...

Thanks

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 9:46AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Rob, what I heard was some asian plums work and some don't, its like how some pears work on quince and some don't.

Scott

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 3:00PM
windfall_rob(vt4)

Thanks Konrad
Thanks John, that makes sense

Scott, that sounds right given the little info I have found

I think I am going to go ahead and plant it out. I had no intention of more apricots but intentions can change!
It feathered out pretty well last summer so perhaps I will try to work it over to three or four varieties if I can find some small diameter scions.
I am thinking harlayne, jerseycot, and alfred or adirondak gold (if I can find it)

Anybody on here have any experience with some of the super hardy prairie/Canadian selections?

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 8:08AM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

""Peach Tree Short Life" is a common rootstock issue... It's especially problematic in places with cold winters...."

Peach Tree Short Life (PTSL) is common in the southeast and different from "short-lived" Rob referred to.

The biggest contributor to PTSL is the ring nematode which is also prevalent in the Southeast. To my knowledge areas with more severe winters do not experience PTSL as long as the nematode is not present.

The "short-lived" Rob referred to is plain old graft incompatibility.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peach Tree Short Life

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Apple Tree Help - Thank you!
Hello, I have four different varieties of small (starting...
kailunkat
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
Restoring old and neglected apricot trees. Help!
We moved into a new home in the middle of last summer...
monibucky
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™