Mara des Bois vs Sunlight/heat

chloeashaApril 19, 2012

Alright, one more quick question. I've decided I would like to order Mara des Bois from Nourse. I've got a north-facing recessed balcony (yuck) and I have hung boxes off the railing. They will get 2-2.5 hours of sun in the morning and then about the same in the evening, so a minimum of 4 hours of total FULL sun. The rest of the time they are in bright shade, but still shade nonetheless. I know this will diminish fruiting, but is it enough to make the yield unbearably low to non-existent? Part of the reason I had chosen MdB was that it is listed as tolerating partial shade.

Fraise des Bois was another I was looking at, but I thought mara would be better.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chloeasha

The heat part which I somehow forgot in the original post is that we are pretty hot here in the Delta, with high humidity all summer. Last summer we had almost 60 days around 100* although not quite for most of them. So I was thinking it could be to their advantage to be shaded from the midday sun as well...

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 1:03PM
mrsg47(7)

Hi, I responded to your second post. But 'Mara des Bois' which I've been growing for the past four years need sun, FULL sun. If not, they will die. Sorry.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 10:10PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I grew MdB for several years in various degrees of sun and shade. With four hours you won't get nearly as much fruit but I don't see any reason they would die; I had some in about that much sun. Do make sure you keep them perfectly weed-free and heavily thinned so there is no overlap between plants.

Scott

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 9:47AM
chloeasha

Thanks guys! How much space do you think they will need? They will be easy to keep weed free as they're going to be in my window boxes 3 floors up :)

I e-mailed Nourse who said 4 hours will work although yes, as I supposed, it will just diminish fruiting.

Already today I had to move back my partial shade plants from the railing as they had begun to burn under the sun which is increasing :) So hopefully the little experiment will work!

Thanks again,
Julianna

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 10:00PM
mrsg47(7)

Sorry what I meant by die, is they will not make it through a winter. Mrs. G

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 8:54AM
More Discussions
Crabapple tree with large apples - which one?
Hello all, When my son was stationed in Newport RI...
dancinglemons
Blueberry help!
What's going on with this blueberry bush? Is it going...
julia_scheidt
Window blinds, fence wire, electric engraver, drill, and pliers
What can make with window blinds, fence wire, electric...
2010champsbcs
Fuyu Persimmon
I purchased a fuyu last year from fast-growing-trees.com....
elizabethk1
Urgent grafting advice: Experiment Antonovka +/- B9 interstem
You can read my previous posts to see photos of my...
hungryfrozencanuck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™