Blueberries - help!

Raw_Nature(5 OH)April 4, 2013

I am looking for advice and opinions about how I plan on growing blueberries before I jump into it and find out I mad abhuge mistake..

I have a 5 foot wide by 80 ft row oriented east to west, gets great sun(more than 6 hours). I have clay soil roughly 6.5 pH.. What I planned on doing was:

-not tilling the native soil
-just installing a raised bed filled with compost an peat moss
-spacing the blueberries 4 foot on center
- irrigating with acidic water(roughly 6-6.5 pH)..
- I have a filter that filters chlorine and makes water acidic for your skin, it's a shower filter..

The row is 80 foot, I planned on doing half the row blueberries(40 foot/4 foot spacing= 10 blueberries... The other 40 foot I would like other fruiting shrubs spacing at roughly 4 foot or similar.. I ordered honey berries,gooseberries,one red/black currant, and a jostaberry, I also have goji berries but from my understanding they would not do good(to big) in this hedglike growing row.. Any other fruiting shrubs that i should plant? I'm mainly looking for fresh eating..

I need 10 blueberries.. I already have:

Early ripening:
1x earlieblue

Mid ripening:
1xBlueray
1x bluecrop
2x rubel

Late ripening:
1xjersey

That's 6 blueberries i already have, I need 4 more! Any one have any gold varieties you recommend.. As you could see I'm trying o extend the season by getting early,mid, late ripening varieties.. I heard that the early is at danger of late frost killing the blooms and ruining the yield,that's why I am wary about getting more early varies.. Any one notice this to be true? Any advice?

I really appreiate all the help,
Joe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

Northern highbush blueberry shrubs are generally resistant to late frost. I am not saying that the flowers are "frost-proof," but I have seen our shrubs exposed to night-time lows around 28 degrees F, and the flowers do OK. The varieties I am growing are Patriot, Bluecrop, Northblue, and Friendship.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 4:12PM
riverman1

I would add Reka to your list, it's a great plant, heavy producer, puts up lots of new canes unlike other varieties like chandler. Make sure you get a good amount of peat in your soil mix and some pine bark if you can find it. Jersey has grown well for me but the plants have an odd growth pattern that requires some staking and thinning.

RM

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 5:13PM
Raw_Nature(5 OH)

Great, my local store sells tons of reka, almost exclusively all reka.. So you guys think not tilling the soil and making raised beds with lots of peat sounds like a good idea? Any other blueberry varieties recommended? How about any fruiting shrub in general?

Thanks for the feedback,
Joe

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 6:24PM
Bradybb(wa8)

There are others I like,Bluegold,Bluejay,Blueray,Darrow and Spartan.If I had to pick two of these,it'd be the latter ones.
From your list Raw Nature,that's a good start right now. Brady

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 10:03PM
More Discussions
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™