Temporary Home for Grafted Apple Tree?

kathyb912_IN(5a/5b)April 14, 2013

Hello all,

On Friday, my 11-year-old son brought home an apple tree that he grafted himself in his after-school gardening club. (How cool is that? I thought they'd be growing green beans in dixie cups. ;)) Needless to say, he's very pleased with it and wants to plant it in our yard. Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of space in which to grow a fruit tree, even one grafted onto dwarf stock. Our only option would be to grow it, along with a pollinator friend, in large containers. I'm going to email the teacher on Monday to find out exactly what rootstock was used, but my son said they were told the tree would grow to be 6' tall, so it sounds like it's a pretty dwarfing stock.

My questions:

1) Since we're not ready to commit to two half-barrel size containers just yet, I'd like to plant it out into a smaller container to keep it alive while we figure out the logistics of whether we can keep it long-term. What size pot can I get away with? I have some 2 gallon black nursery pots ready to go, but would the roots get too hot in the sun? Would a white 5-gallon bucket (with drainage holes, etc.) from the home improvement store hold it through the summer? How long could it stay in a container like this until it had to be potted up?

2) If we do decide to keep it, what varieties would cross-pollinate with a Cox Orange Pippen? I've seen conflicting information online -- some websites call it self-fertile, while others call it self-sterile. Which is correct? Would any of the columnar apple varieties be a good future companion? We live in central Indiana, zone 5.

Thanks for your help,

Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

You could do 2-gal for one year. Put aluminum foil shiny side out on the pot if its getting too hot. I would plan on grafting another variety to it next spring if you want to keep it. Put your son's skills to good use :-) Most varieties will pollinate Cox, just make sure its not a triploid variety.

Scott

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 6:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
murkwell

If you live in the suburbs you probably have neighbors with apple trees to pollenize yours.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 12:36AM
More Discussions
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™