Apricot grafts took!

marknmtApril 2, 2013

A big "Whee" moment for me- I finally got a few of these to callous over and it looks like they are viable. I'm forcing them and will see what happens. Apparently I had my best success with chip budding and nearly struck out with conventional budding. A couple of the chips were on surprisingly small stock.

I've fought with grafting apricots several times and it never worked. I finally learned here that it has to be warm for them to callous properly. I had gotten spoiled with apple and pear.

My rootstock was Marianna from a purchased apricot that had winter-killed; the rootstock voluntarily stooled and gave me a little working material. The budstock was from local unknown trees that seem to do well here and produce good fruit.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Nice going!! I hope they grow out well for you. I'm like you I have to force myself to think about temperature, callusing, and all that with both rooting and grafting. It's more natural to think technique and getting the wood stored properly. But it all has to come together to work.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™