Freeze protection 2014

fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TXApril 20, 2014

You probably saw earlier thread about 23F freeze 4-14-14. It didn't take a whole lot to avert the damage. The apricot still green was covered with two layers light blankets and a 40W shop light. The frozen trees are apricot, peach, and nectarine.

Damage was severe on this 4th leaf Sugar Pearls apricot uncovered.

I covered several things but ran out of heat sources. Damage was severe on all those plants.

Apples and pears uncovered showed no damage except to fruit. Pecan, persimmon, jujube, mulberry, and grapes were toast unless covered plus heat.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jagchaser(5A NE, -15-115f may frost)

Ouch! Most of the time I get wind so bad here that you couldn't keep anything covered if you wanted to.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 2:10PM
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

FN,

The heat source was the ticket. I have ten extension cords and a lot of light bulbs to fight late frost each year.

Tony

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 2:13PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Jag:

The wind usually dies down before the damage occurs. I was putting up my shelters at 11pm because wind was too high before sunset. Fortunately 4-14 was a full moon.

Tony:

I'm going to have a shelter over that apricot next year. But it won't be blankets and a shop light. It will be ~48 trees under a 21ft by 30ft structure covered with heavy weight frost blanket. I think the frost blanket alone will give some protection but maybe not enough based on this years results. But I think a 1500 watt electric heater plus frost blanket will give me 10-15F protection. We almost never need more than that in spring. At most I'll need two 1500W heaters.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 2:26PM
ltilton

Don't discount the ground heat.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 3:19PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

I noticed in my unheated low tunnel (yes...small trees can easily fit inside) that i can protect trees down to about 22F with only minimal damage (some burnt leaves)... That is with cheap 3mil plastic. If I cover with blankets, i would imagine i could easily protect to the teens...given that the next day we get some sunshine or at least warmer temps (the heat of the day warms the soil-releases at night)... I did make the mistake on a sunny 60F day of not opening the tunnel up until about 3pm...it was 130F in there at that point...i fried some pluots, but the peaches were pretty much fine (maybe some burnt edges)...

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 5:12PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I did a scratch test on the newly planted frozen trees. I think many are dead including the exposed rootstock. The best I can probably hope for is sprouting from the roots. That's nearly 100 trees affected.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 9:33PM
mamuang_gw

Fruitnut,

I'm so sorry to hear that so many trees were affected. That's quite extensive. Wish I could help in anyway.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 7:51AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Thanks for your support. I'll redo it better next year. I've already got a possible plan and a year to get it right.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 8:54AM
mrsg47(7)

Fruitnut, what a hit. If anyone can get it right, its you! Sorry for the loss of trees this year, however, you're right they might sprout from the rootstock. Mrs. G

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 9:11AM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

The question is: Do you have scion to graft onto the rootstocks?

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 1:35PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I'll graft and bud what I can from the greenhouse but probably mostly on Krymsk 1 rather than anything that sprouts from these trees. If the frozen trees come back above ground I'll keep them, rootstock or scion sprouts. But if, as Lovell is prone to do, the sprout is from below ground I'll probably discard the tree because that would leave a stub of the present trunk.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 2:15PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

Fruitnut, What material do you use on the ground?

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 3:32PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

That's lumite from Shaw Fabric Products in Fort Collins. It has lasted quite a few years exposed. It's not an ideal setup but in a dry climate like ours I think it's better than fighting weeds or grass.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shaw Fabric Products

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 3:50PM
More Discussions
Plum tree
My plum tree has new growth. I remember a couple of...
tim45z10
What is happening to my Apple Tree? Fixes?
We purchased this tree and planted it a year ago. ...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Indoor Spring Start To Raspberries
Hi...under advisement from Cornell University, they...
Greenhorn2
Lime Sulphur spray--I feel like I was just robbed by Hi-yield
I have no idea why Hi-yield (or maybe it's the sellers)...
dave_7b
Sponsored Products
Artesia Adjustable Swivel Bar Stool with Back - 21-1601
$94.20 | Hayneedle
My Community Helpers� Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Ac
$255.95 | Bellacor
Chef Series 23 Inch Premium 16 Gauge Stainless Steel Undermount Single D-Bowl Ki
eModern Decor
Elements Brook White Collection Dresser & Mirror
Beyond Stores
Vondom | Planter Pot
YLiving.com
Ai Lati | Tamiko Wall Single
$711.00 | YLighting
Quilted China Storage Champagne Flute Storage Chest
Overstock.com
Elipse Pendant
Lightology
People viewed this after searching for: