Insert Maniacle Laughter Here

Edymnion(7a)April 19, 2012

After months of careful tending and waiting (and waiting, and moving large containers indoors when it got too cold), I finally have the first signs of success with my pawpaw trees.

I've got 18 of them in large containers that I've checked in on every month or so just to make sure they weren't rotting down there, every month or so they were still just seeds sitting in dirt. This time, my test sample had rooted.

Mwuahahaha! Please allow me to count my seeds before they've sprouted. One, one pawpaw tree, ah ah ah... two, two pawpaw trees, ah ah ah...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olympia_gardener(5)

Sounded like you just fathered 18 babies. Congradulations!.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 2:47PM
Edymnion(7a)

Oh yes, and I plan on planting all 18 of them in my woods. These things are native to my region, but they're next to impossible to find wild anymore due to the fact they will only grow in established forests (they need shade when small, so there has to be a canopy). I've got 20 acres of woods out here, and I intend to plant a couple in/near the yard for fruit picking, and the rest are going to be spread out through the woods to repopulate.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 2:52PM
olympia_gardener(5)

I have never tasted Pawpaw but read discription of tasted like a banana. Is it truly tasted like? How long does it take for your babies to make you a grandpa? On average, how big is the fruit?

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 3:59PM
armyofda12mnkeys(7a, Philly, PA)

Most I've tried are small mango sized (like those champagne mangos you see at stores). I would say it tastes custard-y, maybe a combo of mango-vanilla pudding? Its good. In my opinion way better than a banana :) [esp since bananas are everywhere :) ]

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 4:53PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

I had a bunch of paw paw seedlings I started from seed...the first winter they all died! I gave up after that... good luck. I'd recommend planting them in the ground asap, since I think keeping mine in pots is what did them in...

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 4:57PM
olympia_gardener(5)

Small manago size and mango-vanilla pudding flavor sounds very appetizing. I am wondering which store sales them.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 5:15PM
Edymnion(7a)

No stores carry pawpaw fruit, unfortunately. The fruit is generally soft like a banana, but thin skinned like an apple. Soft squishy fruit with thin skin means they don't survive being trucked around and jostled in boxes very well. Only way to really get one is to find someone that has them fresh off the tree.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 5:47PM
posyplanter

Oh.......pawpaws are awesome! One of my favorite fruits, and you are right, if they ever are available for sale, it's usually at a farmer's market or roadside stand, but even then, it's rare. The only ones I've ever had we harvested wild. I think I need to plant some pawpaws; y'all are makin me hungry!

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 8:36PM
olympia_gardener(5)

You guys really got me interested . I am going to google more about it.

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 12:18PM
garedneck

I ordered some last fall from http://www.integrationacres.com/
and agree with amy's description except they have an odd bitter smell and after taste which is probably another reason you won't find them in stores.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 3:34PM
Bradybb WA-Zone8

I have been growing these in heated tubs with the average temperature about 80F.These photos were taken today.The top one are seeds from a tree in Fremont,CA and the second one are from the Kentucky Champion.The Fremont seeds were planted on February 20th and the others on February 25th,so they are quite vigorous.Also only about 1/3 of the Fremont seeds sprouted,whereas all of the Kentucky ones did.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all these plants,as I haven't a lot of room.Maybe I'll be like Johnny Appleseed and plant them wherever.
I have a question.In the top photo,there is shown a shoot with a seed still attached.Can I help it by cracking the seed away? Thanks,Brady

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 7:26PM
Edymnion(7a)

Hmmm... usually taking the seed coat off damages the leaves inside in the process, but these are fairly large and they aren't really super hard shelled seeds to start with...

Try the toilet paper trick. Get some toilet paper, wet it, and wrap it around the seed coat. Let it stay there all day/overnight, put some extra drops of water on it whenever it starts to dry out, and just let it sit.

Should soften up the coat enough that it can come off easily.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 1:21PM
More Discussions
Can I prevent Fire Blight the way I prevent Peach Leaf Curl?
Okay, so it's pretty easy to prevent peach leaf curl....
frostygardener
Blueberries on a slope, how to grade soil?
Hey everyone, I was planting blueberries on a sloped...
towsonite
Suburban backyard "orchard" (Z6 SE NY)
Hello all. I have a new to me house and yard (Zone...
cottage_cheese_z6ny
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Plum Tree Experts!!! Is this gonna turn into a fruit?
I have some buds on my plum tree that look like this. Do...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Renaissance New Antique Silver Two-Light Clear Heritage Handcut Crystal Wall Sco
$812.00 | Bellacor
Romanza Decorative 24-inch Feather Filled Throw Pillow
Overstock.com
Blazing Needles Microsuede Back Support Throw Pillows (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Everstone Decor Sandstone Outdoor Wall Light
$73.91 | Lamps Plus
Camelot Razzle Dazzle Gold 31-Light Clear Gemcut Pendant, 28W x 40H x 28D
Bellacor
Cheetah Ruby 24 x 24 Decorative Pillow
$94.95 | Bellacor
Upton Home Edmund Console/ Sofa Table
Overstock.com
V063 Dormeuse
| Italy Design
People viewed this after searching for: