Keeping grape vines in containers temporarily

ozzz(5b AZ)April 26, 2012

I have a major backyard renovation going and I jumped the gun a bit and ordered three different grape vines.

I have so much going on Im not sure if I can get them planted in the ground for another month or so. Problem is its spring and I would like them to get as much growth this year as possible so they are quicker to get established and ultimately, quicker to produce fruit.

I have a trellis/arbor system planned out but wont be able to work on it for a month or so. The grape vines are very small as of now, can I plant them in 5 gallon buckets for the time being so that they can still develop root structure and growth, and then transplant them in the ground once I know where they will be permenantly located?

Is there any downfall to doing this that Im not aware of? I need to let them develop shoots anyway to select a permanent trunk so this might allow them to grow while Im getting things planned out.

Its possible I could plan out their permanent planting locations in the next week or so if I really had to, if it would be greatly more beneficial or something but if possible and it wouldnt stunt them that much Ild prefer to keep them in buckets.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Mine grow like weeds in pots. Just select a well draining soil mix. Then plant them out this fall or next spring with as much root as possible. You are really growing roots the first year. Next year whether planted in pots or ground it is usually best to cut them way back and rapidly grow the trunk the second year.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 2:13PM
calliope(6)

Yes......I have a catawba up in my g'house now. Purchased it early for healthy stock and we've been getting nipping frosts. It's leafing out now and looks pretty healthy. Well draining is the key. I shall set mine out in about two weeks. It'll still be mild enough with ample rain and it should have some nice lateral roots.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 7:32PM
Fleeben

I prefer to start my bare root plants in pots because it gives me more control over conditions. Then I just plant them out after they've put on some nice growth.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 8:29PM
Edymnion(7a)

Yeah, they'll be fine in pots for a month or two. Even in the ground they won't show a whole heck of a lot of growth, that'll come next year after it spends all winter growing bigger roots. Then it will EXPLODE in new growth next spring.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 9:33PM
ozzz(5b AZ)

Awesome! Thanks so much for the input guys ... Ill just keep them in pots for now then!

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™