Will Grease Bands Harm Fruit Trees?

ourecovillageApril 12, 2012

We have ants on our fruit trees (apples, pears, cherries, plums, and quince). To prevent them I put a grease band around the trees like this one:

http://johnglover.co.uk/johnGlover/images/gallery/gpra.302%20Grease%20band%20around%20fruit%20tree.jpg

The problem with this is that the band traps moisture against the trunk of the tree. Does anyone know if this will harm the trees or will they be just fine? The trees are ranging from about a 1" diameter to a 10" diameter.

Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

We use tanglefoot out here in California quite a bit to keep ants out of fruit trees. I use landscaping cloth wrapped around the tree trunk, about 4 to 5" wide and wrapped around 2 or 3 times, then tied in a knot. Then paint on the tanglefoot. That way, the trunk can breath, but the tanglefoot can't heat up and burn the cambium layer during our sunny weather.

Patty S.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 12:23AM
copingwithclay

If you want to try something simple and cheap to stop ants from crawling up your trees, masking tape can help. Wrapping a 1" wide ring of the tape around the smooth area of the trunk with the sticky side facing outward will do. In a week or 2 or 3, the stickiness may decrease, so just replace it with a fresh ring.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 12:59AM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Yes, it's amazing how many get trapped using masking tape, I found this out accidentally when labeling the grafts with masking tape.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™