Peaches and nectarines: interesting note

homey_birdApril 24, 2012

Hi,

I have been noticing an interesting phenomenon, mainly with my peach and nectarine trees (by the way, I've also experienced this with my Pomegranate tree but I would only discuss peach and nectarine here).

When fruit is set, I see that some branches bear decidedly smaller fruit whereas some bear decidedly larger fruit. And no, my trees are not multi-grafted. They are all one same variety on each tree, therefore size difference is not due to the variety.

I am curious if this happens because the tree has some naturally strong arms (ie branches) and some naturally weak. I would like to know because I am wondering if I should actually focus on thinning the smaller fruit (versus thinning uniformly over the tree), and whether I should focus on weaker branches during pruning.

Does this make sense or is there a counter intuitive approach that works better?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olpea(zone 6 KS)

I've never observed this at thinning time. I have noticed there are small fruit and larger fruit on the same shoots. Many times, smaller fruit drop off (abort) which is why I generally remove them at thinning.

As the fruit develops, shoots more exposed to the sun develop larger fruits.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 3:16PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I have noticed this on some peach trees, in particular on ones lacking in overall vigor. You can pretty much predict it by looking at the end of the shoot and seeing how much new growth is coming out -- the shoots with little new growth are more likely to be the ones with the small fruits on them. I thin out nearly all of these little guys, they don't produce good fruit.

In general trees with too much of this kind of fruit will need more renewal pruning, take out a whole lot of wood next winter.

Scott

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 7:49PM
homey_bird

Thanks, the mention of pruning brings me to this question: I have a genetic dwarf peach + nectarine tree in the ground. It's suffered some damage over the years due to leaf curl fungus, and some parts of the wood have stopped growing leaves. Overall, the wood on this tree looks very very mature. What are the chances that new growth will happen after pruning it? Any good sites to refer to, for pruning tips for mature wood trees?

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
can you scrape off canker
i've read that when growing season is strong, such...
johndoug
Blue Berries-acid soil and other vegetable plants
I have been growing blue berry plants intermixed with...
RonCz
Best place to grow Fruit Trees - OUTSIDE of California
Heya, So I'm about to make a rather silly/stupid post...
mystearica
Haskap or Honeyberry?
I am in zone 6 in southern Illinois, so I get extreme...
flowerchild59
Growing Anything Under A Black Walnut Tree
Hi Gang.....maybe someone here has a solution or idea,...
Greenhorn2
Sponsored Products
Juuyo Peach Flowers Pendant
Lightology
Pre-owned Sand Grey Peach Overdyed Turkish Carpet 6'9"x9'11"
Chairish
Missoni Home | Onley Outdoor Cylinder Pouf Bag
YLiving.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Strozzi Rust 8 ft.
Home Depot
Peach Bamboo Trellis Giclee Shade 13.5x13.5x10 (Spider)
$69.99 | Lamps Plus
Peach & White Galena Club Chair
$449.99 | zulily
Bora Da Throw/Blanket - Peach - Donna Wilson, SCP
$340.00 | HORNE
2nd Avenue Lighting Large Peach Basket Two-Light Pendant
LuxeDecor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™