stark bros. supreme dwarf stanley plum tree

ljkewljApril 26, 2014

Hi everyone

I'm wondering if anyone has received or seen a root system like the one that I just received? I can't post a photo because I don't currently have a camera that works but I think I can give you a mental pic of what it looks like. I have bought over 22 fruit trees over the past 2 years and never seen anything like this.

The tree and root system looks like a whisk broom with a 43" handle! Literally if you are looking down at the tree from above and if you look at it as a clock face, there should be a root system that is going in all different directions at all different hours of the clock. Am I wrong here?

If you are looking down at it all the major and feeder roots are pointing straight down and are in a line! Just like a whisk broom..say looking at the clock they are going and growing only from 12 noon to 6 or from 3 to 9 just like in a straight line.

I don't believe this encourages a strong rooted tree and am thinking about contacting them about my displeasure in this. What do you people with more growing experience think I should do? I can dig it back up and put it back in the original box and send it back to them.

Thanks for any replies

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

IJK,

If the tree looks healthy then it should be ok. Those roots will more than likely will branch out all over.

Tony

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 9:56AM
More Discussions
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™