Tree Sprayed by poison...

CharNC(7)April 15, 2012

We have a pear tree and noticed today two of the branches had the leaves dying in the middle of the branch. Great growth above and below.

The tree sits next to a neighboring pasture which was just sprayed with something that killed off all the vegetation, we believe some of that chemical got carried by the wind onto our tree.

Will the damaged areas grow back next season? Should we cut back the damaged areas? Only about a foot long section of each branch took the damage, most of the tree looks as good as ever and has a lot of new growth, even on the affected branches.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Perhaps *not* poisoned. More likely to be mechanical damage, as in heat from an machine.

Leave the tree as is to see what it will do.

And become a friend of your farming neighbor so that s/he and you can discuss whatever happens in a reasonable manner.

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 3:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Char, I would talk to your neighbor to let them know. Chemicals that kill vegetation can definitely carry with the wind. As long as your tree doesn't die you tree will be OK, don't worry about losing a few leaves and just leave the tree alone.

Scott

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™