Asian pears, Apple pears....???

vieja_gw(z7NM)April 21, 2014

Just ate the first 'Apple Pear' / 'brown Asian Pear' from a local market. Haven't grown pears before as they ripen mostly all at once & don't keep well. This 'Apple Pear' seems as if it would store better & longer in the refr. & I liked the crispy texture & flavor .... like an 'apple'!

Was thinking of ordering a dwarf Asian Pear x Stark's... anyone growing this & what are your thoughts about this pear? We live in zone 7 at 5280 ft. elevation with somewhat caliche/ alkaline soil & low rainfall (we irrigate everything). Got down to 32 here this winter & usual summer temps in high 90's usually. Peaches, plums, cherries,apples do well here ..... IF no late spring frost!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

My favorite Asian pear is Olympic also known as Korean Giant and several other names. It holds well in the fridge, is huge, very firm texture, and 18 brix. It's not as juicy as most Asian pears but that's a plus to me. It's also much easier to thin and doesn't split like some others can in a big rain.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 3:17PM
campv

We live in N. Arizona -30 min south of Sedona in the Verde Valley
We have the same soil (hate caliche). Temp can get down to 16 and summer well its an oven.
We grow the same fruit and our dwarf Asian Pear does great. Try and buy one that is disease resistant.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 3:37PM
vieja_gw(z7NM)

campv: Stark's have a dwarf 'Hardy Giant' Asian pear dwarf supreme that they list as disease resistant. They say their other varieties of Asian pears are not disease resistant. Do you remember the name of the Asian pear that you have there? The pics of the 'Hardy Giant' show quite large pears but I'd expect them to be smaller here for us.

fruitnut: I wonder if Stark's 'Hardy Giant'is similar to your Korean Giant or Olympic? I'd prefer firm/crunchy as opposed to juicy also!

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 2:12PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Stark's tree could be Korean Giant. They often rename to make their's sound exclusive. Often they list the real name afterwards. Call them and see. If they don't know or won't tell you get the real thing elsewhere.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 3:09PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Viejita,
The dwarfs tend to sufffer a decline and peter out when on OHF 333, etc as the A pears require really strong root systems. You can always late summer prune and keep it 10' on Pyrus betulaefolia rootstock known as BET.
Noogy

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 5:29PM
CFields59(7)

We moved to a new farm in late 2012 and there was an Asian Pear tree already established. Not sure of the age; however, we got a nice crop of pears off of it last year. I made preserves and wine from them and they are both very tasty. These pears will keep for about 2 weeks just in the fridge. They also freeze well. I prefer them over Bartlett myself. They are very tasty, crisp, and juicy.

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 10:14AM
More Discussions
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™