Low of 24 degrees..

Dan.NY(5b)April 30, 2012

Though the forcast was low of 31, I awoke at 630 AM to check the temp and found 27 reported by weather dot com. Looking more, observed low was 24 on Sunday at some point. Sat was apparently 25. This coming week is supposed to be warm. I will be able to see what made it and what didnt. I would bet this is not good at all though. gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
megamav(5a - NY)

Im really glad I wasnt expecting fruit on my trees this year, they're too young.
Odd year for weather, and I hope it works out for you orchard guys.
It seems a good early season would be on the order of 1-2 weeks not 1-2 months. Too much is at risk.

On a side note, im not sure what I would do if I had this type of situation, where its consistently too cold at night when fruit is on the tree.

I was thinking about it, and I thought *maybe* I'd wake up early at like 3-4AM and go out to light some citronella candles under the trees to get some upward heat. I only have 3 trees, and only 1 is away from the house.

Not looking good for fruit here in the east-central NY area this year.

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 2:44PM
alan haigh

Just read the latest Scaffolds, a newsletter for commercial NY fruit growers produced by Cornell. They are talking about a nearly total crop loss for most of NY State. Just too many hard frosts after such a mild late winter. Be glad your living doesn't depend on selling your fruit. Tough times lately for farmers. Last summer the monsoon wiped out everyone working bottom land and now this.

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 5:52PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

MSU is saying kind of the same thing for Michigan... It looks really bad there.

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/regional_report_on_southeast_michigan_fruit_april_30_2012/

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 6:34PM
denninmi(8a)

Um, LOL, WHAT SE Michigan farms and orchards? Seriously, they're almost all gone. If you are looking for Starbucks and Applebees, those are on every corner.

Honestly, in the counties that make up the Metropolitan Detroit area, Monroe, Lenawee, Wayne, Washtenaw, Livingston, Oakland, Macomb, St. Clair, there isn't any substantial large-scale commercial production for processing. There are some holdout growers that do pick-you-own and for farm markets. But nothing like it used to be back when I was a kid in the 60's and 1970s.

But yes, Michigan is basically toast for a lot of crops this year. Let's hope that this erratic and damaging weather is an outlier and not the start of a real trend in climate change.

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 8:05PM
molex

here is the link

Here is a link that might be useful: Scaffolds

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 10:00PM
megamav(5a - NY)

It will be very disappointing if I cant pick my favorites this year, but that inconvenience will be minor compared to those that rely on production to support their families.
I really hope it works out in the end, I suspect the most success will come from the varieties that blossomed late and were less involved in the freezes.
My Kidd's Orange Red is still in tight cluster, but that tree we just put in the ground.

-Eric
------------------------------------------------------

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 11:13PM
More Discussions
Root control bag to control Mulberry tree size
Hi, I am planning to use a root control bag to limit...
roots_feeding
Blueberry help!
What's going on with this blueberry bush? Is it going...
julia_scheidt
Plum Tree Experts!!! Is this gonna turn into a fruit?
I have some buds on my plum tree that look like this. Do...
tlbean2004
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Suburban backyard "orchard" (Z6 SE NY)
Hello all. I have a new to me house and yard (Zone...
cottage_cheese_z6ny
Sponsored Products
Radiax 2700K 60-Degree 4-Watt LED Rich Bronze Flood Light
Lamps Plus
Whitman Ceiling Fan by Casablanca Fan Company
$439.00 | Lumens
Viridian Taupe Recliner/ Ottoman Set
Overstock.com
44-Inch Concept I Oil Rubbed Bronze Ceiling Fan
$289.95 | Bellacor
Diner Bar Stool Set of 4 in Black
$359.00 | LexMod