who has used bay laurel?

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)April 23, 2013

Has anyone used Bay Laurel nursery for fruit trees? They seem to have a decent selection.

The only thing I see as potentially problematic is they have a very early shipping cutoff date, sometime in early March. I could live with that here, as long as the ground isnâÂÂt mucky, but my guess is they donâÂÂt do cold-storage of their dormant stock.

Anyone got experiences w/them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
manfromyard(7b/8a)

I ordered a pomegranate and jujube last year from them. Both are leafing out now, although the pom looked bad when it arrived. That pom may just have been going into dormancy as it was an earlier fruiting variety...

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 3:15PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

They're great, have used them quite a bit. Their cutoff is early because they're in California, and for us, things "wake up" a bit earlier. Very reputable company and a pleasure to work with.

Patty S.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 3:26PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

I ordered from them for the first time this year. As you say, they ship in March which was way too early for me. The trees had to be potted but I couldn't even do that when they arrived because of a blizzard. What I received was labeled as either L.E.Cooke or Dave Wilson.

I was not happy with the bare root berries, but I did not read that they were bare root, which was clearly stated on their website. I got potted blueberries from Wilson so the bare root berries from Cooke did not look to be nearly the quality. I guess only time will tell.

I will, from now on, as much as possible, order from nurseries that are closer to my zone. It's just not possible to plant once they arrive if they ship before April.

I asked that the trees not be topped and they did not top them. They put them in quite a large box for me.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 4:03PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I have had overly pruned roots from them, as in 3" stubs only. Now I usually order my Dave Wilson trees through Sanhedrin. Sanhedrin is smaller but I have been happier. Planting in March is usually fine in Maryland.

Scott

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 4:20PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

Scott,

Come to think of it I believe it was you who suggested I ask them not to trim the roots or top them. They told me sometimes they come that way from the grower so they couldn't guarantee that they would not be trimmed but none of them looked to have been trimmed.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 5:23PM
thisisme(az9b)

I've ordered from them twice and way happy both times. Nice trees at reasonable prices packaged well and shipped on time. Who could ask for more.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 7:27PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I like them as well. Sometimes the trees have been bigger than I like. This results in fruiting wood starting higher than I like but not really that high. As my back gets older I'll probably like the higher fruit. Otherwise no complaints after about 10 years. The only tree I lost was one I cut back too low. I got a new tree and still have the rootstock to bud to soon.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 7:38PM
More Discussions
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™