3rd year of drought in N.M.

milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)April 24, 2013

I was reading this article today. Anyone from N.M. care to put their own spin on it? Are we headed for another dust bowl?

Here is a link that might be useful: More tough choices ahead for farmers

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

I can only speak for my area of North Central NM (Santa Fe area) and say that it is definitely a very bad drought, but by the numbers nothing this area has not seen before. The typical historical pattern has been a wet decade followed by a dry decade, followed by a wet one again, so the question is how dry will the next 7 years be? And how wet will the following decade be after that?

The question about the dust bowl is probably relevant only to the Eastern Plains of the state, but hopefully the absence of the same kind of destructive agricultural practices of the early 1900's will keep things in check.

But the long range forecasts are not quite as dire as the article suggests. For the first time next month, NM is NOT included in the "less than average precip" in the long range forecast maps. Not that this thing will go away anytime soon, but I am hopeful that the remainder of 2013 will be wetter anyway.

I'm definitely praying for a good monsoon!

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™